2023 Short Script Competition
$5,000 | script development | production assistance
The 6th Annual Film Pipeline Short Script Competition provides an opportunity for writers to get their project financed and produced. Our executives collaborate with the finalists from development to production, supporting their efforts on both their selected script as well as future material. All genres accepted, and scripts may be intended as proof-of-concept or standalone shorts.
With over two decades of experience discovering new screenwriters, we've cultivated a dynamic, hands-on process of development and industry introductions for filmmakers. This allows both emerging and seasoned writers and directors to receive personalized assistance in all facets. And, most importantly, Pipeline spotlights and supports selected talent with the intent of fostering their careers long-term.
Winner and finalists awarded:
- $5,000 to winner
- Extensive development from Pipeline's executive team, including feature script development (if applicable)
- Industry circulation to specific management and producing partners
- Additional long-term development of other film and TV scripts
- Financing consideration for future short scripts
Regular: September 1st, 2023 - $40
Late: September 15th, 2023 - $45
Entries also accepted via:
- ABOUT FILM PIPELINE -
Launched in 2018, Film Pipeline searches for extraordinary directors, produced shorts, unproduced scripts, and other content from a growing field of talent worldwide. Filmmakers and writers discovered through Pipeline receive circulation assistance to agencies, managers, and executives on the lookout for the next wave of artists, with a sharp emphasis on diverse storytelling and stylistic originality. Unlike a traditional one-and-done festival, the company champions individual writers and directors, playing a central role in getting projects developed, produced, and promoted.
For 23 years, Script Pipeline has bridged the gap between up-and-coming writers and the industry through a unique, long-term, hands-on facilitation process. The result thus far has been $8 million in scripts sold to studios and networks since 1999, most recently the seven-figure sale of Script Pipeline finalist Bring Me Back to Legendary Entertainment. In total, across Film, Book, and Script Pipeline, approximately 25,000 pieces of creative material are reviewed annually, with ~2,000 entries submitted to Film Pipeline in 2021.
Learn more about Script Pipeline and Pipeline Media Group, as well as Pipeline Artists, a platform designed to educate and uplift creatives in the arts.
Grand Prize Winner - announced December 10th, 2023
- Pre-production support to get the film produced (varies by project)
Finalists (up to 5) - announced December 1st, 2023
The Grand Prize Winner and Finalists all receive the following:
- Script development and notes from Film Pipeline's executive team
- Industry exposure to specific partners for potential production support
- Additional development of other film and TV scripts
- Consideration of financing for future short scripts
- Any genre accepted, including non-narrative or experimental shorts, proofs-of-concept, and teasers.
- We don’t have any length requirements, but the submission must be intended as a short film or digital series pilot. Anything from one to (roughly) 30 pages for short films and 30 pages max for pilots. Feature-length scripts and longer "traditional" TV pilots may be submitted to Script Pipeline.
- Script must be unproduced at the time of entry. Produced short films are allowed only in the Short Film Competition. If the film is produced any time after entry into the competition, it will still be eligible for awards.
- Only completed scripts are allowed. No pitches.
- If submitting a proof-of-concept script, supplemental info on the project, such as the synopsis for a feature, is more than welcome. We'll review a full package or proposal in addition to the short script.
- Cover page should include the title only. Remove any contact information (name, email address, etc.) on the script. Logline and genre on the title page is preferred but not required. If contact info is left on the script, we'll adjust the file accordingly (errors on the cover page will not result in disqualification).
- Co-writers allowed. Only one writer needs to register.
- Must send as a PDF file (Final Draft and other screenwriting software all have an "export as PDF" function).
- No limit on the number of entries. Each entry is a separate fee.
- All rights to the material remain with the entrant, whether they place as a finalist or not.
Pipeline Media Group has cultivated relationships with over 250 production companies, managers, agents, directors, independent producers, networks, and other executives over the past two decades, leading to multiple writers signed and specs sold.
Some of the companies in Pipeline's network include:
- QC Entertainment - Get Out, Antebellum
- Liz Destro (producer) - Swimming with Sharks
- Bellevue Productions - Infinite
- Divide/Conquer - M3GAN, Adopt a Highway
- Hungry Man
- Alibi Management
- Assemble Media - The Forgiven
- Paramount TV - Yellowstone, 1883
- Grandview Management
*Industry: request to review Film Pipeline winners and finalists here.
WHAT ARE THE DEADLINE DATES?
Regular: September 1st, 2023 - $40
Late: September 15th, 2023 - $45
DO YOU ACCEPT INTERNATIONAL ENTRIES?
Absolutely. Writers worldwide are welcome to participate in this and any Film Pipeline, Script Pipeline, or Book Pipeline competition.
IF MY SHORT SCRIPT IS ALREADY PRODUCED, CAN I SUBMIT?
The contest only accepts short scripts that have not been produced at the time of entry. Anything that has already been produced in any capacity would not qualify. However, scripts produced after the date of entry are still eligible for awards and may remain in competition.
CAN I UPDATE THE SCRIPT AFTER ENTERING?
Yes, we’ll accept updated drafts any time, at no extra fee. We would need to receive the script by the contest’s final deadline in September.
WHAT KINDS OF SHORT SCRIPTS ARE ALLOWED?
Any genre accepted, including stories based on true events and experimental work. We’re looking primarily for great storytelling and diverse, fresh concepts.
CAN I SUBMIT ADDITIONAL MATERIALS WITH THE SCRIPT?
Yes, we would encourage writers to include supplemental materials (such as a synopsis, an outline for a feature version, etc.) along with their short script. You can email those materials direct to our coordinator. There’s no formatting requirement for supplemental materials, but we’d prefer they be sent as a PDF.
DO I GET FEEDBACK?
Feedback for the Film Pipeline competitions is kept internal. However, for script notes, writers may request a notes service via Script Pipeline.
DO I RETAIN THE RIGHTS TO MY SCRIPT?
All rights remain with the entrant, regardless of the final contest results. For circulation, scripts aren’t sent to anyone outside of Film Pipeline without the writer’s consent.
Contact our contest coordinator with any other questions.